Everyone's favorite position
Everyone LOVES to be an outside hitter. It doesn’t matter if you are a better Libero, or perfect at setting, somewhere down deep inside, every player loves to attack the ball. While height may be advantageous to an Outside Hitter, it is not the most crucial attribute one has. Check out the list below and see if you can relate to what’s there.
Key Concepts of an Outside Hitter
1. Proper Serve/Receive passing technique.
2. Calling out the hitters on opposite team while playing defense.
3. Good observation of opponent hitters during play.
4. Quick adjustment to set up the block.
5. Properly covers her teammates’ hits when not actively attacking the ball.
6. Good communication with setter / runs the proper play called by the setter.
7. Good ability to make an attack or play on the ball during every play.
8. If skilled enough, can learn switch the attack from cross-court to line, or anything in between, based on the opponents’ blockers.
Key Attributes for an Outside Hitter: Good Passing Skills, Proper Approach and Form, Good Vertical, and Good Arm Swing, Wrist Snap and Follow-Through.